Sunday 30 June 2013

First memory of a snake

When I was 3 years old we had moved to a property called "Jabulani", which means to be happy in the native Ndebele tongue.  The house was on a large property and had many large trees and bushes on it.  The back of the property bordered a cattle farm and on the front was a stone wall with a gate.

One day I walked up the driveway and climbed onto the stone wall.  I was looking back towards the house when I noticed what looked like a thick black hosepipe coming out of a hole next to an old musasa tree.  I realised I was looking at a large, long snake and was fascinated.  The snake wrapped itself round the tree twice as if to stretch itself then it uncoiled itself  and came straight towards the wall.  It went into a hole at the base of the wall and disappeared beneath  my dangling feet.

My Mum came up the drive shortly afterwards and was shocked when I told her about the big snake I had just seen.  She got the gardeners to try and dig around the wall to kill the snake but they found nothing.

I now think I either saw a black mamba or an Egyptian cobra.  I also think because I showed no fear, I did not panic the snake and in doing so risk a snake bite.


No comments:

Post a Comment